Monday, February 13, 2012

Birthday Weekend

Saturday was my birthday. I hit 32 this year. It was a fun weekend of celebrations that started on Friday evening with a few of my lovely girlfriends. Olivia and I drove out to Kim's house in Rantoul for an evening of good food and Just Dance 3 on the Wii. We ate dinner and shared some girl talk and rocked out some dance numbers. And there was an ice cream cake. I ate a large slab (no regrets).

Pesto pizza
My actual birthday started with my Saturday morning PiYo class (thank you to Kelly for venturing out to exercise with me on such a frigid morning!). After class, I treated myself to a scrumptious salted caramel mocha. Then Nicky, Ken, and my mom arrived shortly after I got back home. They all played with Andrew and talked about how big Olivia has gotten before we headed out for lunch at Black Rock Pizza Company in Urbana (formerly Red Star Liquors). We all ordered different pizzas, except Mom, who had a sandwich. It was all very good! Then we headed back to enjoy birthday cake #1 that Nicky and Ken brought down with them. It was also very good! They had to get home to their dog Murphy and we needed to get Andrew down for his nap.
Cake 1 - chocolate cake, chocolate frosting
After nap and more play time, none of us was very hungry for dinner since we had so much for lunch. I thought we needed to eat some "real food" before trying cake #2, so we ended up eating grilled cheese sandwiches and broccoli before digging in to the second cake. And a delicious cake it was!! Soon enough, it was time to shower Andrew and get ready for bed. Andrew showed Grandma Joanie how good he is at using the potty and we called it a night.

Cake 2 - marble cake, vanilla frosting
On Sunday morning, my mom offered to stay home with the children if I wanted to go shopping with my birthday money so Carl and I went out to the mall after breakfast. My goal was to find a new pair of jeans, but I didn't find a pair that I loved. I did notice, however, that sizing seems to have become even more whacked. While I know I'm not a big girl, I certainly shouldn't be fitting into the smallest size they have in the store either. Seriously! I think it's just a messed up marketing ploy to get women to feel like, "Oh! I fit into a size X (smaller than they thought)!" And then they buy more because they're pumped about fitting into a smaller size. It's sad, because this tactic works on so many women. But, I digress. I indulged in another coffee while we were at the mall and we found a nice pair of heels at Macy's that I will hopefully have an occasion to wear sometime.

Then, we went to Meijer since we needed groceries and then headed for home anticipating some crying because we had been gone for almost 3 hours. Happily, Andrew and Olivia behaved very well for Grandma while we were out. She had to get going and it was nap time again. I enjoyed some quiet time while both children slept and even snoozed a bit myself. The rest of the day was an uneventful night at home, except that Olivia rolled over! She was motivated to get her binkie and went for it! So proud of our strong girl! (video of rolling to come).

The end of my birthday celebrations is dinner tonight with Carl's parents at Olive Garden (Breadsticks. Yum!). Overall, I had a great birthday this year, mostly because it was spent with so many loved ones. But all the cake didn't hurt!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! 32 sounds so young. I'm glad you had such a fun weekend. We'll have to get together soon.

    Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faith! Yes, let's plan a playdate soon :)

      Delete