Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Return to Group Fitness

This week marked my first week back to teaching fitness classes and the beginning of my post baby fitness journey. I had a great time in both my Turbo Kick and PiYo classes (one of each in the schedule for now) and loved the energy from all the participants! It feels awesome to get back to doing something I enjoy so much and also to get moving again. Having been 3+ months since I've done a real workout, I expected to be sore and was not let down. Today I'm recovering from PiYo, but although I'm pretty sore, I still feel good because I know it's the first step toward improving my fitness to where it used to be and maybe even better!

Pre pregnancy - 38.5 weeks pregnant - 10 weeks post pregnancy
This is the first time I'm actually going to attempt to document my fitness progress by taking pictures and measurements along the way, so I'll start by posting a picture from pre-pregnancy, the end of my pregnancy (total of 35 pounds gained) and one from now (7 pounds above pre-pregnancy weight). I consider weight to be just part of the picture of progress made. Other important markers include body measurements (waist, hips, thighs, biceps, etc), body composition, how clothes fit, and how I feel in general.

As a fitness professional with education in exercise programming, I know that a well rounded program should include aerobic training and strength training as well as balance, flexibility, and recovery. Ideally, aerobic and strength training should occur multiple times per week with the other elements weaved within. Realistically, I think it is most reasonable for me to start with the two classes I'm teaching each week and to add more in at home as I regain more strength, endurance, and (hopefully) sleep. The logistics of exercising at home with two children is probably my biggest challenge. I'll be using ChaLEAN Extreme, Turbo Jam, and Hip Hop Abs for home workouts and plan to add Turbo Fire as well (love the HIIT workouts!).  In addition, I will continue my efforts toward healthy eating, including Shakeology.  Ultimately, my goal is to be able to exercise at home 3 times per week in addition to the classes I teach. I don't know when I'll get there, and there will probably be weeks where none of the home workouts happen, but it's good to have goals ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment