Friday, January 20, 2012

Destressing

I wouldn't call myself one of those "do it all" moms and I don't necessarily strive to be. You know the ones I'm talking about...not only do they lovingly, patiently care for their children, but their house is in perfect order, they prepare a healthy and tasty dinner each night, their hair and makeup is done each day, etc... Who can live up to such standards? But I have to admit, I would love to feel like the house is taken care of and that I was put together each day. And this is where the stress comes in. Every day, I see the tasks mounting. Empty the dishwasher, fill the dishwasher, start a load of laundry, fold the laundry, pick up the Legos AGAIN so no one gets hurt on them, plan what we'll eat for the week, grocery shop for said meal plan, clean the bathroom, vacuum up the dog fur, and the list goes on. I'm pretty sure most moms (those without a staff at their disposal anyway) have a similar task list. Some are stressed about it and some more easy going. Well, I've decided it's time to be one of the easy going ones. I'm not totally neurotic now, but I definitely get stressed out when the clutter starts mounting and the list of things I "should" have done piles up. (Who decided what we should get done each day anyway? I guess we come up with our own ideas of what a well-run household should be and try too hold ourselves up to that standard.) So it's time to be a little easier on myself and to start prioritizing. My value as a human being is not tied to how clean my floors are or how many dishes are in the sink, right? It's more about relationships and experiences. It may take a little while to be able to relax and enjoy playing trains with Andrew while I know there's laundry to be folded, but I'll get there. The clothes will wait, but those moments together can be fleeting and the chance to enjoy them will be gone all too soon.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Colleen! I have the same struggles and have also decided to make peace with an imperfectly clean and orderly house. I love your the statement you make about relationships being a priority. These moments are definitely fleeting...a good reminder to enjoy them now!

    ReplyDelete