Thursday, January 12, 2012

Confession

I have a confession to make. Despite my efforts and what some people might think, I'm not a perfect eater. Yes, I'm sure I have a healthier diet than the average American, but let's face it, that's not too hard to do. With all the resolutions and such to be healthier, more fit, and to lose weight this year, I wanted to share some steps I take to ensure I take in the nutrition I need.

Firstly, I don't eat out very often. This is not necessarily a decision based solely on eating well (eating out is expensive!) but it definitely keeps me from eating things I wouldn't prepare at home and feeling sick from over eating due to the large portions served. The one thing I do enjoy on a somewhat regular basis is a delicious peppermint or salted caramel mocha from Starbucks. Thankfully, it is easy to control how much of an indulgence this is since you're able to choose the size of your drink, the type of milk (skim, please) and eliminate the whipped cream.

I also am not much of a soda or alcohol drinker. Sure, I'll have some on occasion, but probably less than one of either each week. During the day, I mainly drink water, and that's the way I like it. I enjoy a glass of wine now and then, or maybe a cocktail if I'm out with friends, but this is a pretty rare occurrence these days.

Since I do the bulk of the grocery shopping and meal planning for the house, I am able to control what we have on hand. If you know me, you'll know that I am a fan of sweets - I could eat ice cream every night! So, I usually have ice cream in the freezer, but I try to keep the rest of the food pretty healthy. Whole grain bread, fruits and veggies, lean protein etc... One of my motivations for keeping healthy food on hand is my children. I'm sure that I eat better now than I did before Andrew came along. I want to do my best to model healthy behavior so that my children will (usually) choose nutritious foods when given a choice. It seems to be working so far. Andrew will often eat the fruit or veggies off his plate before touching the rest if his food and routinely asks for more of those items.

Anyway, the reason I'm sharing this is to point out some ways to keep the nutritious to not-so-nutritious food ratio in check. What I do might not work for everyone, but it's important to find ways to feed yourself the kind of food your body needs to function properly. This has become even more apparent to me since the birth of Olivia. Due to the blood loss, and subsequent blood transfusion, I experienced, as well as the demands of raising a newborn and toddler, my immune system has not been what it once was. I know that eating well is one way that I can help build it back up so that I won't continue feeling mildly ill all the time. Of course I use Shakeology to help bridge the gap between the foods I eat and the nutrition I need, but taking in healthy, minimally processed, whole foods is the best defense. Also, I want to remind people not to beat yourself up. Yes, be consistent in your efforts to be the healthiest and fittest you can be, but nobody is perfect. Have realistic expectations while challenging yourself to do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment