Monday, November 21, 2011

Settling In

It's been three weeks today that we've been home with Olivia. It's strange, but Carl and I agree that it's already hard to remember what our life was like before she arrived. Perhaps sleep was a little easier to come by and the logistics for doing just about everything were simpler, but I'd say we're settling in to our new family of four (six, really, counting the four legged furry ones) and learning what it means to be caring for a newborn while chasing after a two year old.  I have to say I think we're managing quite well so far, but we have had a fair amount of help in various ways.

We made it through our first week with my mom's help. She did a lot of cooking (thank goodness because I was pretty much constantly ravenous)and a lot of errands too. Keeping Andrew entertained was also a huge help. I know she was exhausted by the end of the week!  My dad and his wife, Susan, were then here for a coupe of days and they also did a good job keeping Andrew busy. He had a great time running around the mall and playing horsey and marching band with them.

There were also visits from my brother and sister-in-law. Andrew always has fun playing with Uncle Bubba and Auntie Amy...and I enjoy the opportunity to catch up with them too :).  Nicky came down for a couple of days as well and helped stock our freezer with some tasty meals. She also played with Andrew at a playground while I took Olivia in for a weight check (back to birth weight a day before 2 weeks!). I also have to mention the visit from two of my best friends this past Friday. It made my week to get to see Claire and Sarah (and Oskar!) and introduce them to Olivia.

The other great help we've been receiving has been from the awesome moms and dads that we know from playgroup and preschool. They have been taking turns bringing meals over for us for the last two weeks (not sure exactly when our last delivery is!). It has been so great not having to worry about what we're having for dinner each night and also fun to see what everyone brings over. I've also enjoyed the chance to catch up a little with these friends since we haven't been to playgroup since Olivia's birth. Having such a supportive group of families around us and offering whatever help we may need reiterates to me how important it is to have a network of positive friends. I feel a strong sense of community with this group and am so happy to be a part of it!

So despite the lack of sleep and extended time it takes to prepare to go anywhere, life is good. With all of these amazing people in our lives, we have much to be thankful for this on Thanksgiving this Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment