Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Getting things done

Sometimes I feel so lazy with no motivation to get anything done.  Or sometimes there's just too much to do that I don't know where to start, so it's easier just to do nothing.  I think it's easy to get in a rut as a stay-at-home parent because you're home much of the day...there should always be time to take care of things, right?  I feel like, recently, I've been doing pretty well and have had lots of productive days and this has made me wonder what's different about those days when I feel like getting stuff done?  Am I just tired of looking at the big basket of clothes that need to be put away?  Feeling crafty in the kitchen?  I guess those things may be a part of it, but I think it has more to do with getting into the right mindset and remembering the sense of accomplishment that comes with getting things done.  So this is something I'm working on.  Creating the right attitude so I can keep the productivity going rather than sitting around, unmotivated, and being annoyed that the house is messy or that there are a bunch of random tasks piling up.  I'm not talking about anything huge here, just staying on top of your typical everyday business around the house.

For awhile, I kept a "To do" list on my phone.  It really did help me stay on top of things.  I think I'm going to go back to that.  Ever since I became a parent, I can't remember anything (or maybe because I'm getting old! Haha!)!  I space on something I'm supposed to do pretty much every day.  I think having that list in front of me where I can check things off as they get finished will go a long way toward keeping me on track.  OK, so I'm still going to get my naps in when I can.  I am growing another human being after all.  But that doesn't mean I can't still check lots of items off my list in a day...maybe my nap should be at the top of the list?!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with this.  It's tough to stay motivated, especially when it seems like just when you've finished a task, you have to do it all over again (cleaning the kitchen, vacuuming, planning meals, etc...).  I think that improving in this area will not only result in having an orderly household, but help me feel like a more well rounded person who can tackle whatever comes my way.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate Colleen! You are not alone. For me having a to-do list is very helpful. I love how it feels when I check things off but it's also a great feeling to just pour out everything that's swirling around in my mind onto a list. Even if I don't always get to it, I know that I can refer back the next day...or the next ...and I totally agree that a nap should be at the top if your list!

    ReplyDelete